CompTIA Security+ is the benchmark of all cybersecurity credentials in the IT industry. Created by the leading computing technology organization and accredited by the ANSI for its compliance with ISO 17024 Standard, it is indeed a well-recognized certification in this sphere. Suffice to mention that the certificate is vendor-neutral, which allows the professionals to focus on industry-wide security domains instead of focusing on vendor-specific techniques.
The CompTIA Security+ credential covers six different core fundamental security domains, which include Threats, Attacks & Vulnerabilities; Architecture & Design; Technologies & Tools; Risk Management; Identity & Access Management; and Cryptography & PKI. Earning this certification has a lot of impacts on your career potential Download Now! .
Overview of CompTIA Security+ Certification
The Security+ certification is a big achievement because not everyone who writes the relevant test passes it. Many candidates use the prep materials from Exam labs to get headway in the certificate. No doubt, passing the exam and earning the credential boosts your career potential and demonstrates to your current employers that you have the skills and knowledge required to perform some technical roles. CompTIA Security+ validates your capability to carry out specific functions, which include the ability to:
- Describe security functions of general technologies and network devices across the different architecture. This makes you a significant asset to your employer.
- Implement the principles and procedures of secure network administration in almost any environment you come across.
- Recognize security threats and carry out the required risk mitigation tasks promptly to minimize damages.
- Configure and implement wireless networks in a secure and safe manner, such as IoT networks and devices, which makes you an integral player as the proliferation of networks and devices continues to increase.
- Understand the applicable laws, regulations, and policies of Information Technology security, whether informed globally or locally, which ultimately minimize the possibility of getting fined by compliance authorities.
- Understand the user authentication, access control, and authorization concepts, which help enhance the awareness of the significance of security among other employees in the organization and making the matter of security a team work.
- Describe the proper use impact of environment controls.
- Implement cryptography and PKI (Public Key Infrastructure).
- Recognize and analyze basic attacks, such as malware, wireless and application attacks, and social engineering.
Although there are no requirements for obtaining the CompTIA Security+ certification, but it is recommended that the candidates have at least 2 years of work experience in the field of IT administration with a focus on security. In case you don’t have any work experience, CompTIA recommends that you first pursue A+, then Network+, and only after that Security+.
Job Opportunities for CompTIA Security+ Holders
The job market for the individuals with this credential is huge and it is still growing. As a matter of fact, there is hardly any other sector that has such brighter potentials like cybersecurity. Nowadays, more and more new positions appear in this realm and a lot of companies are looking for the certified specialists. According to CyberSecurity Ventures, by 2021, the vacant cybersecurity job roles will increase to about 3.5 million. This means there will be a very high demand for the qualified and certified security professionals by that time and an increase in earning potential as well.
According to the report made available by CompTIA, about 62% of managers hiring for the information technology positions in the US highlighted that security skills and knowledge are part of the “must-have” in order to be considered for a job position. Some job positions to look out for include a Security Analyst; a Forensics Investigator; a Security Architect or Engineer; an Auditor; a System Integrator or Engineer; a Security/IT Manager or Director; and a Systems Administrator.
To take up any of those job roles, it is essential that you have a level of demonstrable ability for audit & compliance; application security development; intrusion detection; incident handling & response; Cloud computing & virtualization; SIEM management; Firewall/IPS/IDS skills; analytics & intelligence; and advanced malware prevention, among others.
With the CompTIA Security+ certification, you can easily find your footings in the industry. However, to grow your career and take up more challenging and more rewarding job roles, you will have to add more advanced skills and experience to your resume.
Entry-Level Jobs for CompTIA Security+ Certified Specialists
No doubt, the CompTIA Security+ credential is one of the most sought-after certifications for an entry-level position in the field of IT. There are a pretty good number of entry-level job titles you can take up with your Security+ certificate. Some of the common positions you can pursue are as follows:
- Security Analyst: The professionals working as security analysts will be required to install software and firewalls on a computer of users. They also help plan and implement the security measures for protection of the computer systems and networks of their organization.
- Enterprise Service Desk Specialist: This job role entails answering questions on systems, applications, hardware, and subsystems in your organization. The callers generally have questions on different aspects, ranging from configuration, installation, customization, operation to how to use a software or a product of the company properly. Your job role will be to help provide answers to all these questions.
- IT Support Technician: The IT support technicians can work for different types of organizations. They can work at corporate sites or in-store, and they will be able to carry out computer repairs, installations, upgrades, etc.
- Junior Network Administrator: This job role requires that you work with the users to ensure that their computer systems are working properly. This title may mean that you rebuild or reload systems at one time and upgrade at other times.
These are just a few of the jobs you can pursue with your CompTIA Security+ credential. There are many more career opportunities that you can explore with this certification.
There are a lot of credentials that can be useful for your career growth. And CompTIA Security+ is one of them. As a well-known certificate, it gives you a lot of opportunities, which you may not obtain without it. So, why not to attain such a prestige certification as it will not bring you any disadvantages?
“Note: This is a guest post article. For those who also want to participate in this guest post session, we have an open opportunity for your article to be posted live in our website. Please contact the administrator by clicking “contact” button above, and we can discuss on how to bring your article into more exposure.”